What is an FBA?
How do you do an FBA?
You’ll need to take an Upper Bust Measurement (B) and Full Bust Measurement (A). The UBM will go around you above your bust and up under your armholes. The FBM – you’ll measure around the fullest part of your bust.
- Now cut the line from the waist to the bust point and out to the armhole – don’t cut right to the end. Leave about .5cm attached.
- Now cut the line of the bust dart but don’t cut right through. Leave about .5cm attached.
- Keep the CF stationary and open the waist to armhole line out the measurement you need. In this case the UBM is 40″ and the FBM is 44″. So that’s a difference of 4″. As you only need to add the 4″ to the front and the pattern piece is half of the whole front you would divide the 4″ by 2 which will give you 2″. So you’ll need to spread the pattern pieces 2″. That will then open out the side bust dart.
- So take that measurement and rule a line down from the shoulder to the bust point parallel to the CF. Mark a dot for the bust point measurement. This dot should be in line with the dot your marked for the waist bust dart.
- Now rule a line out at a 90 degree angle to approx. where the side bust dart point begins and mark a dot.
- Rule a line from the side seam notch of the dart to the dot at the bust and then back out again to other side seam notch of the dart.